Abe Lincoln Miata Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Abe Lincoln Miata Club

Welcome to the Abe Lincoln Miata Club Forums

Abe Lincoln Miata Club HomeAbe Lincoln Miata Club Home  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Latest imagesLatest images  Log in  

Vibration/Shimmy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LK2FLY
Fifth gear
LK2FLY

Number of posts : 26
Year/Color Miata : 2008 Copper Red PRHT
Registration date : 2006-09-19

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Vibration/Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2006 4:09 pm

I get a fairly significant vibration when I’m traveling about 65 mph in my 1992 (Pkg B) Miata. At 60 or 70 it’s not noticeable but quite a distraction at 65? I’ve heard folks say that this is common and refer to it as “the 65 mph shimmy” but I’d like to know if anyone has had any luck correcting it… making it go away. Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

David
Back to top Go down
http://www.wollerfamily.com
jeff

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2006 7:27 pm

David
I have heard of this too but have never experienced it. It may be as simple as a need for an alignment or tires being out of balance. I have an alignment done once a year (all 4 wheels) as the adjustment bolts could become loose or something could move if you hit a pothole or curb. Tires are rotated or balanced every 6,000 miles (although doing autocross my tires won't last too long .

If you have the tires rotated and the shimmy goes away maybe you can track it down to a specific tire.
Back to top Go down
LK2FLY
Fifth gear
LK2FLY

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I'm due a rotation and I'll have the tires balanced at that time. If that doesn't correct the problem, I'll attempt to get a very accurate alignment (tight specs).

David
Back to top Go down
LK2FLY
Fifth gear
LK2FLY

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Autocross   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2006 3:42 pm

jeff wrote:
although doing autocross my tires won't last too long

You're doing autocross???:?:
Back to top Go down
jeff

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2006 11:51 pm

Autocross 2 to 4 days per month from March through November. I use the factory specs for alignment but may try something different next year. I really don't want anything too radical as I drive the car daily too.

What year is your car? I have the 2002 factory manual on CD if that will help.
Back to top Go down
LK2FLY
Fifth gear
LK2FLY

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2006 6:45 pm

I've got a 1992. I'll take it to Dobbs. They seem to be the alignment kings around here... I've taken my Solara and they are willing to work with me (keeping tight to the specs without much +/-).
Back to top Go down
jeff

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Alignment   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09, 2006 6:54 pm

Somewhere on the www.miata.net site, probably in the garage section, are some suggested alignment settings. For my car there are at least 1/2 dozen settings from street to track. I believe my manual wants your body weight put in the drivers seat.

You might check with the Gateway club and get their recommendations.
Back to top Go down
Miafun1
2nd Gear

Number of posts : 13
Year/Color Miata : 2001 SE BRG
Registration date : 2006-10-01

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vibration/Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeSun Nov 12, 2006 10:54 pm

David, You may be experiencing a tire with a belt going bad as well. When that happens....a multitude of symptoms can result. Some say the "shimmy" is just a part of Miata ownership...but that simply isn't true. Good luck. You will find the cause when you pursue it.
Back to top Go down
Miafun1
2nd Gear

Number of posts : 13
Year/Color Miata : 2001 SE BRG
Registration date : 2006-10-01

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vibration/Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 10:15 am

David,

Did you get the shimmy fixed?

dan
Back to top Go down
LK2FLY
Fifth gear
LK2FLY

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Vibration/Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi Dan,

I had my tires checked but haven't worried about the shimmy too much over the winter. I'm planning on getting the tires rotated and balanced along with a thorough alignment next weekend. I'm due new plug wires (due to a rat attack), oil change, and a good radiator flush too before Jim/Kathi and Cyndy/I head out to Moab next month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vibration/Shimmy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vibration/Shimmy   Vibration/Shimmy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vibration/Shimmy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Abe Lincoln Miata Club :: Tech Talk-
Jump to: